Something every parent should know…You don’t HAVE to pay VAT on your child’s musical instrument! By not paying the 20% VAT, you could be saving hundreds of ££’s.
Interested? Read on and find out how AIPS works.
The AIPS process is easy…
1. Check with your School / College that they operate the ‘Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme’ (AIPS) and obtain the relevant order form.
2. Come into Guitar Mania and choose your guitar.
We will write down the guitar details (model number etc) and the ex VAT price for you.
3. Fill in the order form and send in payment to the school.
The school then sends us an official order (by fax or email).
4. We process the order and call you so you can collect the instrument.
The whole process usually takes a couple of weeks.
AIPS – the legal requirements….
The AIPS legal requirements… The AIPS – Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme – Changes in the 1995 VAT (Education) Order now enable School pupils to purchase musical instruments free of VAT. The procedure for this scheme has been approved by HM Customs & Excise and was reviewed in September 1995 by the VAT Office. To comply with HM Custom and Excise rules the following criteria must be satisfied:-
* The student must be in full time education at an LEA School.
* The student must be receiving music tuition at the School/Music Centre.
* The instrument must be appropriate for the student’s needs.
* The instrument must be portable (basically not a piano)
* The instrument must change hands on Educational premises. * You can’t make a purchase then claim the VAT back through the school later.